How to translate
If you need to use OneStepCheckout in a language that is not supported yet, you can easily create a new language file. Make a copy of the english (or another language if you prefer) language file and start editing it to your wanted language. There is only about 40 phrases/words that needs to be translated, so it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to translate.
You can find the OneStepCheckout translation file in one of the app/locale/ folders. If you want to make translations from English, copy it from en_US.
The translation file is always called "Idev_OneStepCheckout.csv" and must be placed in a folder according to the language you are translating to. If you browse app/locale you should see what folder you need to upload the file into based on the language codes (english is en_US, dutch is nl_NL).
You can also download the latest version of the file if you'd like:
- English (download latest)
- Dutch (download latest)
- German (download latest)
- French (download latest)
- Spanish (download latest)
- Italian (download latest)
- Greek (download latest)
- Norwegian (download latest)
- Finnish (download latest)
- Danish (download latest)
- Hungarian (download latest)
- Czech (download latest)
- Romanian (download latest)
- Swedish (download latest)
How to edit
- Open Idev_OneStepCheckout.csv in an editor that supports UTF-8 character sets
- Go through each line and make the translations.
- Each line should begin with the original english phrase (see image below)
- Save it and make sure you save it with UTF-8 as character set
- Upload to your app/locale/your_LANGUAGE/ folder
- Refresh your Magento cache under System -> Cache management
- Reload OneStepCheckout in your store and see it in your language
- Send us a copy of the translation file to email@example.com
- When you make translations, pay attention to quote marks in the language files. You must keep the formatting correct in order for the translation file to work. (see image below)
- Local characters are not displaying correctly
If your local characters aren't displaying properly, it is likely that the language file you uploaded weren't saved with "UTF-8" as character set. You need a modern editor in order to save files in UTF-8, like for example Editplus.
- My translations doesn't appear at all
If you can't see the translations you've made in the translation file you need to make sure of the following:
- That your Idev_OneStepCheckout.csv does follow the CSV format by using quotes, correct syntax for each line is: "Original phrase","Translated phrase"
- That you have refreshed your cache under System -> Cache management
I can't figure it out
If you are unable to get your translation file to work, please send us a copy of it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will test it for you and verify the syntax.